Reigning in our food and grocery bills can be one of the most challenging things to our budgets! We often talk about cooking at home and being savvy with the items we purchase, but what about controlling our food waste? It’s staggering how much food ends up in the trash and thereby how much money is wasted, which is why we are pumped to be talking with Debt Kickin’ Mom about how to get a handle on our food consumption and save money in the process!
- Kids on 45th: An established thrift store in Seattle, now selling online! You tell them your style, sizes, + types of garments, and they handpick clothes + ship to your door! Try out a box for your kiddo! Kidson45th.com
- Basic: one of the best things we can aim at in our financial lives. Want to reduce spending – just buy the basics. Get back to the basics with food, clothing, bills – really anything! Basic: we know We’ve reached the pinnacle of frugality When ‘ya basic’ becomes a compliment
We had so much fun talking with Debt Kickin’ Mom and got to pick her brain on all the things! Here are our favorite questions we asked:
- Tell us about your debt free journey
- What prompted you to start focusing on reducing food waste?
- What are your tips for families who want to stop throwing away so many leftovers and unused produce?
- Only bringing in what you will realistically consume
- Meal plan around what’s in your pantry
- Pay attention to how much you actually need to eat
- Preserve food
- How do you stay healthy while saving money on groceries?
- It is frugal to make things from scratch which is also healthy!
- Convenience foods are expensive and often less healthy
- Cooking at home means choosing the ingredients in your meals
- Eat when you’re hungry
- Sweet potatoes, beans, whole chickens
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks Angela for sharing your mortgage bill with us! It is so exciting to focus on paying off your house!!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
The one (or more) ingredient you always skip in the recipe
- Angela- rare ingredients! I always substitute!
- Jen- bay leaves, lime juice, tamarind
- Jill- FRESH herbs – those dried herbs will do just fine 😉
Get more from Angela at:
We’re doing something a little new this year with a new way to enter our monthly giveaway!
- Share this episode on facebook or social media, tag us in it and you’ll be entered to win a $10 amazon gift card! We’ll pick 1 winner for every 5 tags at the end of the month.
- ALSO you can still enter by leaving us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re just adding a new way to win!