In our fast-paced, busy lifestyles it can be difficult to find time for rest and enjoyment. And beyond that, the things we often turn to for ‘self care’ are expensive and not always effective. We’re excited to spread the message today that self care does not need to break our budgets AND it’s about so much more than bubble baths and massages (although they’re nice :))
- Empower:An awesome mobile app jam packed with features that make managing your money easier. With a high-yield checking account offering 1.6% APY, and direct access to their financial coaches; Empower is an obvious choice in mobile apps! For more info about Empower, visit: empower.me/FRUGAL and use offer code FRUGAL to get a $5 bonus when you reach your savings goal.
- Scrolling: They see me scrolling, they’re hating, they try to catch me scrolling instead of shopping. That’s right, when you’re on social media and you see ads for whale milk and you’re like, “What’s going on, that’s gross, but maybe I do want to see what it is.” Just keep scrolling. Scroll right past all those things people are trying to get you to spend your money on. Scrolling, you should probably put the phone down and go to bed. Thanks to one of our new Frugal Friends Community members for that idea.
What the Internet has to say:
- This article from Psych Central outlines both what self care is and what self care is not. It’s super helpful and succinct in laying the foundation for how we even approach this topic of caring and placing value on ourselves.
What Jen + Jill have to say:
1. What self care IS
- something we actively do or participate in to care for our whole person (body, mind, spirit)
2. What self care is NOT
- It is not forced, and it is not selfish, but rather necessary for longevity in what we’ve set our hands to and our overall wellbeing
3. Three golden rules
- Stick to the basics
- Be intentional
- Make sure its effective in providing rest!
4. Basic checklist
- Ability to ‘say no’
- Time with loved ones
More from the Internet:
- This article from Pure Wow gives us a list of 25 FREE things we do to practice self-care in our lives!
More from Jen + Jill:
Our favorites from the list (and others we want to comment on :))
- Tidy house
- Create night and morning routines
- Take a walk
- Netflix binge-(uh, maybe not) Jen’s doing no tv January
- “Do not disturb” – both Jen + Jill’s phones are on silent 100% of the time
- Animals being cute- baby yoda memes
BILL OF THE WEEK – Jury thanks for sharing with us about your dogs insurance bill – we love how much this reduces your stress and provides peace of mind!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Our self care goals; things on the list we’re going to do this weekend.
- Jill: PLAY, spend time with life-giving friends, schedule rest
- Jen: Call a friend, make a gratitude list
We’ve got a new way to enter our monthly giveaway!
- Share this episode on facebook or social media, tag us in it and you’ll be entered to win a $10 amazon gift card! We’ll pick 1 winner for every 5 tags at the end of the month.
- ALSO you can still enter by leaving us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re just adding a new way to win!