Have you ever wanted to achieve something, financially or otherwise, but struggled to actually make it happen? You’re not alone! It’s one thing to desire something, but a whole other animal to take the steps towards accomplishing it! Goal setting is a popular idea this time of year, but let’s chat about how we can actually MAKE IT HAPPEN in 2020!
- Kids on 45th: An established thrift store in Seattle, now selling online! You tell them your style, sizes, + types of garments, and they handpick clothes + ship to your door! Try out a box for your kiddo! Kidson45th.com
- To-Do Lists: Got a lot of stuff to do and can’t keep track of it all? Make a to do list! You can use anything to make your to-do list. Advertisement envelopes, the back of a CVS receipt, the Notes app on your phone, your arm. All surfaces suffice for the to-do list. And don’t forget to cross off everything on the list. Didn’t do any of the tasks? Always start your list with “make to do list” so you can feel like you’ve done something, no matter how irrelevant. To-do lists, make one today.
What the Internet has to say:
- This article from Mind Tools gives us the 5 golden rules of goal setting, along with some goal setting tips and tricks!
What Jen + Jill have to say:
- Start with careful consideration of what YOU actually want to achieve
- Set goals that motivate you – you need to have a value for achieving it! Your goals must relate to the high priorities in your life
- SMART goals – you know the kind
- Allows for small goals – but look outside of this framework for stretch goals!
- Write down your goal! AND watch your words! Use ‘will’ instead of ‘would like to’
- Make an action plan
- Stick with it – build in reminders to your daily routine
- Have a goal setting meeting!
- Visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/goals for a free goal planning worksheet.
More from the Internet:
- This article from James Clear provides us with a scientific AND logic based guide to effective goal setting! It’s not fluffy stuff, it’s SCIENCE!
More from Jen + Jill:
- ‘Stack goals’ – be super specific, fill in the sentence “on __ day I will complete ___ at ____ for ___amount of time”
- Set an upper bound – we want to push for maximum achievement, but not so much that it’s unsustainable
- Eliminate goal competition
- Align your environment to your goals
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks Elly from Brisbane, Australia for sharing your bill with us! We loved your bill of the YEAR! 1 power bill because of solar panels = amazing!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Our goals for 2020:
- Read 3 books
- Practice speaking Spanish through app 5min during weekdays + conversational w/friend 1x/mo
- Draw 2x/mo (when Eric is recording music:))
- Earn 6 figures
- Read the bible in a year
- Work out 3 times a week
We’re doing something a little new this year; we have a new way to enter our monthly giveaway! You can still enter by leaving us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. But ALSO:
- Share this episode on facebook or social media, tag us in it and we’ll pick one winner for every 5 tags at the end of the month.
- Winners receive a $10 Amazon gift card!