Today we’ve got Andy Hill from the Marriage Kids & Money podcast talking with us about how he and his wife PAID OFF THEIR MORTGAGE! Lots of people consider themselves debt-free even prior to paying off their house, but not Andy! Paying off a mortgage early is quite the under-taking and requires a great deal of determination, but Andy tells us how they made it happen! Andy gives us tips on how to pay off your house and be real-deal debt-free! Listen in!
ModernFrugality: The shop at Modern Frugality has free and low-cost printables, resources, and ebooks to help you reduce your spending, minimize your stuff, organize your life, and meal plan efficiently. Visit the shop to see what might work for you at Shop.modernfrugality.com. Also, Frugal Friends listeners get 50% off your purchase with code FRUGALFRIENDS19.
The 2005 Toyota Camry: It’s 2019 and if you’ve been near a radio lately it’s clearly the best time to buy a brand new car. But the 2005 Toyota Camry wants to remind you that it’s still running. It also wants to remind you that its sisters from the 90’s are also running so you should count your blessings that you have automatic windows. If you’re looking to save on auto insurance, gas, maintenance, and get a free TV, look no further than the brand spanking new used 2005 Toyota Camry that you already own, and take the savings you get from not buying a new car and get a TV.
We asked Andy all about how he and his wife paid off their mortgage and what it feels like to be completely debt-free! Here’s some of the questions we asked:
- What was your aha moment for paying off debt?
- Why did you decide to prioritize paying off the mortgage so quickly after?
- What was your income and plan of attack for paying it off your mortgage? How much were you investing? Did you put other things on hold?
- Did paying off your mortgage go according to plan?
- What do you recommend for people who want to pay off their mortgage quickly?
- Andy’s TIPS:
- Grow income – get that raise!!
- Figure out your goals – accomplish – get your money!
- Find a side hustle; look to what you are passionate about and your marketable skills and figure out a way to mash the 2 together!
- Spend less 🙂 – look at what expenses you can eliminate
- Look at “BIG” things – car loan, food, housing, etc. and cut costs
- Ladder it – over months progressively get used to less money
- Practice time management
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks Andy for sharing your bill! We like Audible too!
If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
We’ve got more questions for Andy!
- If you could go back and change anything, would you?
Andy’s Answer: Spend more time with open communication regarding how to handle money. Both Andy and his wife had ideas with the money but wouldn’t share it with each other
- Andy what do you have going on at MKM?
Check out his podcast and blog here: https://www.marriagekidsandmoney.com/
Frugal Friends Book Club
It’s February and we’re reading Meet The Frugalwoods by Elizabeth Willard Thames
- If you want a free copy, leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll select the winners at the end of the month to send them a book!
Thanks for hanging out! Come join us throughout the week in our Frugal Friends Facebook Community!