It’s coming! The holidays are just around the corner *again* and this year we’re gonna make a plan AND stick to that plan! There are plenty of ways to be prepared for the holiday season, ways to not overspend on gift giving and food, and tips for taking advantage of money saving strategies this time of year. Let’s talk about how to get through the end of the year within budget, listen in!
- The holidays. Welcome, they are here. So now is the time to set yourself up for success and savings. Our favorite way to save around the holidays is the Rakuten Chrome extension. If you are doing any online shopping this season it’s worth signing up and seeing what cash back you can get on purchases you were going to make anyways. And if you sign up at frugalfriendspodcast.com/rakuten you’ll get a cash back bonus of up to $30 after your first $30 purchase this season.
- Preppers. A way to describe those that are prepared. Prepping is a spectrum and while there are those with closets full of dried food, water, honey, and a few HAM radios, there’s also room for those who are just proactive about the holidays, and making wise decisions with their budgets. Preppers: there’s room for everyone.
- EP 135: Frugal Tech
- EP 133: Tips to Avoid Holiday Impulse Spending
- EP 30: Black Friday, Does it Save You Money?
This article from Huff Post gives us a great list of ways to save (or at least not spend) lots of money around the holidays.
What Jen + Jill have to say:
- Don’t feel rushed!
- Interest free BNPL….ew.
- Consider shipping memberships ….or just wait til you have enough in your cart to get it free…
- Track price changes
- Don’t be afraid to tighten your belt!
- Consider DIY gifts
- Review price matching policies
- Opt for previous generation tech
- Money saving browser extensions (YES!). We like rebatekey and rakuten
- Collect cash back
- Pare down gift list
More from the Internet:
This article from Localiq gives us an insiders look at how marketers target consumers to spend more money. Knowing these strategies can help us be more prudent with our purchases!
More from Jen + Jill:
- “Giving back” – thanks, encouragement, small rewards
- Themed parties
- Referral programs and contests
- SEO + buzzwords – put their website in front of you
- Display campaign with retargeting – companies can pay to put themselves in front of you again after you’ve visited website
- Social media campaign
- Hosting classes and tutorials
- Google listing posts that encourage action (i.e. events)
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thank you Molly from St. Pete for sharing your bill about Bill Nye the science guy!
If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a biIf you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Thanks Ting Mobile for sponsoring this week’s bill! Bring your phone, your number, and get access to the best nationwide cell coverage in America as well as Ting’s award winning customer service if you ever need help. The Flex plan is just $10 per month per line and you only pay $5 per GB of data you use. Or get unlimited data for $45 per month. Head to frugal.ting.com to get a $25 credit when you switch!
What we’re buying this holiday season
- Jen- new TV (black friday/cyber monday)
- Jill- FOOD! Also prioritizing kids gifts
Follow Veronica on IG: fireupforalliedhealth
Thanks so much for listening! Keep leaving us reviews on iTunes or Stitcher, and sending the screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org AND share our most recent episode on social for a chance to win a copy of the Frugal Friends Workbook!
Thanks for listening! See you next week!
- Get our FREE 7-Day No-Spend Challenge Workbook here! https://www.frugalfriendspodcast.com/free
- Join the waitlist for Club BFF: https://www.frugalfriendspodcast.com/club-bff-waitlist/
- Subscribe for more on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/frugalfriends
- Hang out with us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/frugalfriendspodcast/