How do we know how much is enough? What are our measuring tools for knowing this? Today we explore the topics of contentment, gratitude, and minimalism as a means to embracing frugality and being kind to our finances. Listen in as we explore why these principles are foundational to our frugal journey.
- Empower: An awesome mobile app jam packed with features that make managing your money easier. With a high-yield checking account offering 1.6% APY, and direct access to their financial coaches; Empower is an obvious choice in mobile apps! For more info about Empower, visit: empower.me/FRUGAL and use offer code FRUGAL to get a $5 bonus when you reach your savings goal
- Junk Drawers: That’s right all the junk drawers got together to remind us that they’re still there! And also to inform us that ‘junk’ is just a nicer word for ‘trash’ – so basically it’s a glorified trash drawer. Are you really going to use all those paper clips? Oh and that battery with all the goo on it – yea that’s not gonna work anymore. And yes – those pens without the caps ARE dried out, and no you will never figure out what that tiny piece of plastic goes to! Let’s face it – we’re using a perfectly nice drawer to store our garbage in. Trash drawers, you can hide, but you can’t run.
What the Internet has to say:
This article from Moneyning describes the reasons why contentment is one of the most important financial principles
What Jen + Jill have to say:
- “When we’re not content with what we have, it leads to spending more money.” – Moneyning
- 1. Write down blessings
- 2. Live within your means
- 3. Simplify your life
- “Wherever you are in your financial situation, learn to be content. Don’t wait for things to get better” – Moneyning
More from the Internet:
This article from Chopra provides us with 25 ways to practice gratitude on a regular basis while exploring how gratitude paves the way to contentment
More from Jen + Jill:
- Our brains are like velcro for negative and teflon for positive – be aware of what you’re taking in!
- Send a text message to a friend saying ‘thank you’
- Run errands ‘with gratitude’ – be aware of how you are interacting with others
- Stop and smell the roses 🙂
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks Amarylis from Florida for sharing with us how you put aside 5% rather than 1% to accomplish having a debt free business!!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Things we’re grateful for
- Jill- my tiny home – it has everything I need and I find it beautiful!
- Jen- My family 🙂
- Jill- the sun!!
- Jen- my job – so grateful for the flexibility
We’ve got a new way to enter our monthly giveaway!
- Share this episode on facebook or social media, tag us in it and you’ll be entered to win a $10 amazon gift card! We’ll pick 1 winner for every 5 tags at the end of the month.
- ALSO you can still enter by leaving us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to email@example.com. We’re just adding a new way to win!