Combating the desire for material possessions is crucial in our ‘debt-payoff and other financial goals’ journey! And it’s this desire for ‘stuff’ that is really at the heart of impulse spending and can be such a barrier to seeing real shifts in our budgets. So today we’ve invited Desirae Endres from the Minimalish podcast and blog to share her personal story of scaling back on possessions and the impact this made in her life!
- Kids on 45th: An established thrift store in Seattle, now selling online! You tell them your style, sizes, + types of garments, and they handpick clothes + ship to your door! Try out a box for your kiddo! Kidson45th.com
- Internet Advertisements: Ever talk about something next to a computer or phone and shortly after see an ad for it on Facebook? It’s creepy! And it’s also causes you to buy things you otherwise would not have. The solution is to stop talking about things, make an aluminum hat, and stay off the computer forever. Internet advertisements, avoid them and listen to podcast advertisements instead.
We got to talk with Desirae all about her ‘minimalish’ journey, here are some of the highlights!
- How did you discover minimalism and how has it impacted your life?
- Watched “Minimalism” documentary
- Decluttered in 10 days
- Re-evaluated life
- How do you define minimalism?
- How did you reevaluate your relationship with material things and did it have any financial impact?
- Question the items you have in your home – why do I have this? Desirae recommends to begin with your closet – and consider, why is this hard to let go of?
- This can shift the way we spend/consume
- What’s the most important thing for people overspending to understand about minimalism
- If theres no plan for the item – not allowed to buy it (specifically home decor!)
- The prep comes before the trip – know what you’re buying and why!
- Embrace gratitude
- Look at your cart before check out for final ‘check and balance’
- Refrain from trouble sections – you know the ones 😉
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks for sharing you bill with us Desirae – we love how low your gas furnace bill was!! AND tracking bills
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
- Why did you start waking up earlier than your family?
- If not up before kids – only other options for alone time is staying up late – which is never productive hours!
- Wanted a change in how I start my day “miracle morning” book
- What have you been able to accomplish?
- Side hustle (VIP kid)
- Started business
- Creative juices flowing
- Where can people learn more about you and get your book?
This month for book club we are reading The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn.
- If you want a free copy, leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to email@example.com. We’ll select the winners at the end of the month.
ALSO – If you haven’t signed up for Jen’s 5 weeks to $500 course, today is the last day to register. It’s 5 weeks to help you find an extra $500 per week to put toward you debt in 2020! 5weeksto500.com