How do you make your stuff last longer? Along with reducing and reusing – prolonging the life of our things can save us money, build life skills, and increase contentment! Listen in as we talk about some of the ways you can take better care of what you already have so you can spend on what you want and need.
- YOUR AD HERE: As if it wasn’t hard enough to source our own sponsors, now the world has fallen apart and there are no ad budgets for podcasts. While we look for our next sponsor here’s how you can financially support us without giving us your money.
- Sign up for Rakuten and spend $25 at any online store they offer cash back at. Sign up at frugalfriendspodcast.com/rakuten and download the chrome extension to see every time Rakuten offers cash back at a store. When you spend $25 through Rackuten you earn $10 CASH MONEY! So that’s one way you can help us without spending any money beyond what you’ve already budgeted for.
- June Carter Cash: 5 time Grammy award winning singer, songwriter, actress, dancer, comedian, and author. June is June Carter Cash month here on Frugal friends Podcast because duh its June and duh her last name is Cash. Take time this month to listen to a few of our JCC favorites including it aint me babe, jackson, and A Good Man. And emulate your own inner June this month as you kick butt and take names with your cash.
What the Internet has to say:
This article from Martha Stewart gives us a list of 12 items we should repair before we replace!
What Jen + Jill have to say:
- “fix it first” mentality
- Favorite sweater (AND ALL CLOTHING!)
- Rugs and carpet
- Handbags- buy nice products that can be repaired
- Scuffed furniture- salt + heat take out water rings!
More from the Internet:
This article from This Old House gives us a great list (one to earmark for the future) of 23 things you can actually fix yourself!
More from Jen + Jill:
- Learn a lot about how things work!
- Lots of plumbing stuff – leaky faucet, uneven water stream (calcium build-up)
- Sticking door
- What’s not a DIY fix
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thank you Brittany for sharing about your PAID apartment bills!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Lightning Round – Top 2 things we take care of so they last longer (and how)
- outdoor furniture (bring cushions inside each night; wash yearly – bought the kind that can come off for this reason!)
- Clothing – line dry and sew repairs
- Bonus: anytime I do a painting project/refurbish something I paint a clear coat overtop which makes the finish last longer and more resistant to chips