Paying off debt is a BIG and worthwhile goal, but why does it seem like we are making zero progress at times?! On today’s episode we talk through the reasons why paying down debt can seem insurmountable, and the ways to break down the barriers to see real progress fast!
SAVVI: A financial management tool that helps you organize all your financial accounts so you can see the big picture of your overall spending and make financial goals according to it. The best part… the basic subscription is FREE! Check it out! www.savvifi.com
Hanging in there: When you’re definitely not killing it, but you’re also not completely out of the game. Like that little cat poster of a tiny feline clinging to the side of a wall – so it can feel on this financial journey. But take heart and don’t let go tiny kitten! Hanging in there – when we don’t know what else to say, but we know giving up is bad advice!
What the Internet has to say:
This article from The Balance explains why it can be so difficult to pay down debt!
What Jen + Jill have to say:
1: You need a change in lifestyle
- Set new habits – start small
2. Sacrifice for now
- Minimalist frugality – look at the ‘big 4’:
- Monthly bills
3. High interest rates
- Choose an appropriate debt pay-off approach for you
- Debt avalanche
- Debt snowball
4. Everyone else is spending!
- Relationships are a big component during debt pay-off – choose wisely!
5. Others may not support your goal
- Others not understanding
- Others calling us ‘cheap’
6. UNEXPECTED EXPENSES
- Expect obstacles!
7. It can take a looong time
- We can underestimate how long it will take – set realistic goals!
More from the Internet:
This article from Psych Central provides 12 tips to help you get motivated when you feel stuck in a rut!
More from Jen + Jill:
Here’s a few of our favorites from the list!
1. Write on paper how you’re spending your time
4. Overcome fear of failure with small risks
5. Overcome fear of criticism – don’t share your goal with the haters!
8. Hang out with the right people
11. Stop using distractions as an excuse
12. Identify fears and walk over them! Beware of scarcity mindset!!
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thanks Gayla for sharing your bill of the week! We are so glad you found your dream bed for only $125 facebook marketplace!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Our biggest setbacks on the road to debt freedom
- Jen- buying a house, 2 layoffs, only being employed part time
- Jill- school!! (undergrad + masters), low income jobs, switching jobs, big expenses i.e. car failure 🙁
Frugal Friends Book Club:
We are reading I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi for book club this month!
- If you want a free copy, leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll select the winners at the end of the month.