Goal setting; we all know we should do it, but what makes it so difficult to take this first step? Maybe we don’t believe it works, or maybe it’s the fear of failure – no matter the reason it remains true that if we don’t know where we are going, any road will get us there. Join us in our discussion with Brian from SAVVI financial about the importance of goal setting and how to do it in a way that makes sense to YOU!
SAVVI Financial: A financial management tool that helps you organize all your financial accounts so you can see the big picture of your overall spending and make financial goals according to it. AND the basic subscription is free! www.savvifi.com
Vision Boards: Ever want to do something then forget you want to do it? That can throw your decisions all off kilter. Don’t let that happen to you, put your dreams on a vision board! From the magazines that brought you decoupage and collages comes vision boards. Cut out pictures of your dreams and glue them to paper so you don’t forget what you’re doing all this for. Vision boards, That picture of a beach will only make you feel depressed for a little while.
What the Internet has to say:
This article from Personal Excellence outlines 7 reasons why we should all set goals.
What Jen + Jill have to say:
- Helps you take control of your life
- Creates laser focus
- Motivates you
- Allows you to live your best life
- Get maximum results
- Creates accountability
- Helps you to be the best you can be
- Link to reflective questions
More from the Internet:
We brought Brian from SAVVI Financial into the conversation on this article from About Leaders which talks about SMART goals and how to achieve them
More from Jen, Jill, + Brian:
- It is helpful to visualize your goals and identify your ‘why’ reaching that goal (Brian)
- Four major reasons why people don’t set goals:
- Don’t recognize the value of goal setting
- Many have not been trained in how to set goals
- We fear failure, and there is always risk of this when setting goals!
- Fear of others’ criticism
- SMART Goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timetable)
- There are also the ABC’s of goal setting:
- A – aim high
- B – believable
- C – committed
BILL OF THE WEEK – Thank you Brian for sharing about your grad school experience at MIT – sounds like a BIG bill but also a great opportunity!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
- What’s the philosophy behind SAVVI Financial? What makes it different than just Googling your financial questions?
- SAVVI democratizes financial advice
- SAVVI is fiduciary – read: unbiased advice
- How does SAVVI help you plan goals?
- Decision Optimizer
- Stress Test Simulator
- When might SAVVI not be right for someone?
- Don’t yet have ‘human element’ – it is more of a self-service platform, so this is a dynamic to consider
- We mentioned it earlier but can you remind people where they can go to learn more about SAVVI?
Frugal Friends Book Club:
We are reading I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi for book club this month!
- If you want a free copy, leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to email@example.com
We’ll select the winners at the end of the month!