Insurance; it’s not everyone’s favorite topic to talk about, but it is an important one! We’ll keep it short and sweet for you, reviewing which insurances you can skip, and which ones are the ‘must-haves’.
- Empower: An awesome mobile app jam packed with features that make managing your money easier. With a high-yield checking account offering 1.6% APY, and direct access to their financial coaches; Empower is an obvious choice in mobile apps! For more info about Empower, visit: empower.me/FRUGAL and use offer code FRUGAL to get a $5 bonus when you reach your savings goal
- Leap Day! February 29th can only sponsor the show every four years so it wants you to know it for more than just the romantic comedy where Amy Adams doesn’t recognize her self worth. February 29th is the birthday of icons such as Tony Robbins and Ja Rule. It’s also the day we celebrate Our dear friend and long-time listener Jocelyn’s freedom from student loans! We’ll be celebrating with Aldi pizzas in your honor Jocelyn. Congrats!!
What the Internet has to say:
This article from Dummies runs down the list of the must have insurances.
What Jen+Jill have to say:
- Disability insurance (don’t know if we agree with this, we could all consider a good emergency fund!)
- Health insurance
- Auto insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term care insurance
- Homeowners/ renters insurance
More from the Internet:
This article from Policy Genius gives us some ideas on the types of insurance we do NOT need to spend our money on
More from Jen+Jill:
- Private mortgage insurance (can be avoided by putting 20% down on a house. Not sure it’s worth it. You have to do the calculations for yourself)
- Life insurance for children
- Extended warranties
- Unemployment insurance
- Credit card insurance
- Wedding insurance
- Mortgage life insurance
- Bonus: whole life insurance
BILL OF THE WEEK – Rebekah – Thanks for sharing with us about your rent bill! We’re so glad to hear you’re moving to a less expensive area!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
4 tips to save money on insurances!
- Bundle home and auto. It sounds like a commercial but you can save on average 16% for bundling insurance policies with one company.
- Regularly shop around for car insurance + pay bi-annually + raise deductible
- Get + stay healthy to save on life insurance
- Ask about discounts on homeowners insurance
We’ve got a new way to enter our monthly giveaway!
- Share this episode on facebook or social media, tag us in it and you’ll be entered to win a $10 amazon gift card! We’ll pick 1 winner for every 5 tags at the end of the month.
- ALSO you can still enter by leaving us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re just adding a new way to win!